Water & Sewer Department :
Superintendent - David Mainor
404 Poplar St.
Adel, Ga. 31620
Office-(229) 896 - 2780
The Water & Sewer Department provides services to over 2500 customers within the corporate limits of the City of Adel.
The City of Adel has 2 professional staff certified water /or sewer operators meeting the requirements of the Georgia State Board of Examiners for Water and Wastewater. A ground water system receiving its water supply from the Upper Floridian Aquifer following peculation of the water through numerous layers of limestone and dolomite rock. The system has an annual average withdrawal limits of 3,300,000 Gallons per Day(GPD) and a monthly average withdrawal limit of 4,312,000 Gallons per Day. The System has three elevated storage tanks with a total storage of 800,000 gallons. The water distribution system has over 55 miles of mains, with pipe sizes up to 16 inches in diameter. The water is treated with chlorine for disinfectant to insure the bacteriological safety for human consumption. Also, The City adds phosphates to the water supply to inhibit supply line corrosion thus reducing "red water" problems. To efficiently operate the existing water system, the City has created a Geographical Information System (G.I.S.) for the water system within the City of Adel. For the maintenance staff, the (G.I.S.) is simply a set of Adel roads maps which shows the location of all water lines valves and fire hydrants with their respective sizes.
The City of Adel has won the following awards for outstanding operations of their water system.
1) Georgia Water and Pollution Control Association Award in 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1998.
2) 1995 Safe Drinking Water Act Excellence Awards in Region 4, which includes 8 southeastern states.
3) 1997 Safe Drinking Water Act Excellence Awards from Georgia Environmental Protection Division.
4) Georgia Water and Pollution Control Association Gold Award for 1999.
5) Georgia Water and Pollution Control Association for Outstanding Operation of a Water Distribution System for 2000.
6) Georgia Water and Pollution Control Association Award for the Best Tasting tap Water in District 7 for 2000 and 2001.
Sewer Collection System:
The existing City of Adel Sewer Collection System consists of approximately 40 miles of sanitary sewer lines, 750 manholes and 17 sewage pump stations. To efficiently operate the existing sewer collection system, the City has created a Geographical Information System (G.I.S) for the sewer system within the City of Adel. This (G.I.S.) System assists the maintenance staff in providing new services and identifying problem areas within the system.
Superintendent - Tommy Rice
Treatment Plant Information: 2.5 MILLION GALLON PER DAY
4 acres of Aerated
30 acres Lagoon Holding Pond
280 acres of Spray Fields Bermuda Grass, which is Baled for Hay
280 acres is in the Forest Land.